Tonight marks the first night of a meetup in St. Louis for WordPress developers! I know, exciting times right? Tonight’s meeting was more of a planning meeting for the future of the group.
When and where will we meet in the future?
It was suggested that we meet at 6:30 instead of 6 pm. We are going to post another poll for the group to figure out the optimal week for the meetup. Apparently the STL Ruby group meets on the 2nd & 4th Monday of the month. And the regular WordPress meetup group meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month. I think the consensus is to stay with Mondays, just figure out the best week for it. The location will stay as Integrity Corporation for the time being.
Suggested Topics for Group Discussion/Presentation
- Theme review
- Code review
- Enterprise deployment and setup
- How to create a plugin from scratch
- Security best practices
- Speed optimization for WordPress
- Discuss your development environment (how do you make your WordPress magic happen)
- What tools do we use? (IDE and other useful tools)
- Testing environment (PHPUnit, etc)
- Actions and filters
- Rewrite Endpoints
- Using WordPress as a service (REST, XML-RPC)
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Database/table management best practices
- Exploring the WordPress database (talk about the tables and how they tie together)
We also talked about working on plugins/themes together as a group. And we talked about creating an organization on GitHub to host the code. I’m really excited to see what we come up with as a group! Please leave comments below for anything that I left off, or other topics to discuss.